Student Liaison Guidelines
NEPN/NSBA Code: BABB-R
Prior to the last day of school in the spring one student representative (liaison) to the School Committee will be selected to replace the outgoing member. The process for this selection will be as follows:
1. The principal will notify students of the process for student liaison selection through an assembly or other appropriate means.
2. Interested students will submit a nomination sheet with 15 student signatures to the principal by a date specified by the principal.
3. An application packet, approved by the superintendent, shall be completed by the applicants.
4. An applicant must be a sophomore in good standing at Yarmouth High School, but is not required to be a member of the Student Senate.
5. All applications shall be reviewed by a selection committee composed of two School Committee members, the high school principal, superintendent, and two faculty members.
6. The selection committee may, in its discretion, choose to interview finalists before their decision is made.
7. The selection committee may, in its discretion, choose to leave the position vacant.
1. The newly selected School Committee student representative is strongly encouraged to attend School Committee meetings and educate him/herself on the purpose and duties of the School Committee in the months after he or she is selected and before the start of his or her term as a student liaison.
2. During the summer the student liaison may be asked to attend an orientation session.
3. Beginning at the start of the school year, a student liaison shall make an earnest effort to attend all business meetings and workshops. The appointment as a student liaison is a commitment and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.
4. Student liaisons are responsible for preparing any needed materials for the meetings. This could include speeches, essays, research, or statements.
5. Student liaisons will ensure ongoing communication with the student senate to inform them of items on School Committee agendas relevant to students at Yarmouth High School and, when applicable, will attend student senate meetings for discussion and input. In addition, the student liaison shall report to the School Committee when appropriate.
6. The extra-curricular honor code applies to this student activity.
The same standards for attendance apply for student liaisons as for School Committee members. Should a vacancy be declared, the school committee chairperson will decide if a replacement will be made based upon the length of the term that remains.
Legal Reference: 20-A MRSA ¶ 1001 (1A) Cross Reference: JJ-R
Adopted: January 28, 2010
Revised: October 8, 2015, May 11, 2017