Dear Parents and Guardians,
After this recent snow storm, there can be little doubt that winter is upon us. We’d therefore like to share the slate of December events, some of which have been adjusted due to the weather. Although we still plan to hold our Wednesday instrumental concert on December 4th in the YPAC at 7 pm, tonight’s choral concert has been rescheduled for Monday, December 16th at 7 pm.
We are already at the midpoint of the second semester, and teachers will be completing progress reports this week which will available on PowerSchool on Wednesday afternoon.. Teachers will post comments about your child’s work this year; please take the time to review this information.
Looking to the weeks ahead, we will be holding two events for parents. We will begin our traditional evening “coffee chats” on Thursday, December 12th in the high school library at 6 pm. This is an opportunity to sit and share ideas with administration in an informal setting.
The following week on Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 6:30 – 8:00 in the Cafe, Yarmouth Schools are hosting a community presentation on tobacco and vaping by Hawa Shir, Community Health Promotion Specialist from Portland Public Health. Hawa will will delve into the topic of vaping and e-cigarettes, covering some background information on e-cigarettes, how they work and how they can be especially harmful to youth. The presentation will also review how addiction works in the body and how this can affect youth. We will examine the marketing tactics vape/tobacco companies have used to target youth. The presentation will include tips on how to talk to your child about these topics.
Finally, we’d also like to share some Upcoming Events at Merrill Library
- Book Arts Workshops, Mondays, December 2, 9, 16, and 23, 3:45-4:45, grades 3 and up, sign up required. Use this form or email Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come make art out of old books. Snacks will be provided.
- Dangerous Thinking Club, Friday, December 20, 3-4PM: This month, we’re reading the book Internment by Samira Ahmed. Join us for a great discussion. There will be snacks.
- Hometown Holidays, Saturday, December 7: come to the library to make ornaments, all day, all ages, drop in
- Ukulele Jam, Saturday, December 14, 10:30-11:30, bring your uke and jam to some winter songs - there will also be a few ukuleles available to play/try. Drop in.
- Gingerbread Day: December 18, 3:45, all ages, sign up required. Sign up at the circulation desk, email Mary at email@example.com, or call 846-4763-
-New Year's Eve Party, December 31, 11-12, all ages: join us for stories, crafts, and a balloon drop to ring in 2020!
- Visit our Facebook page, MML Kids: https://www.facebook.com/merrillmemorialkids/ to stay up-to-date.