Yarmouth School Department - K-12 District Garden Coordinator
The Yarmouth School Department roots its efforts in nutrition education and promotion in the district garden. We graduate young citizens empowered to use their sustainability and food justice education to improve their own health and wellness, as well as that of their communities and the environment.
The K-12 District Garden Coordinator is a year-round stipend position managing the school garden and hoop-house as an integral part of Yarmouth’s nutrition education and promotion goals. The District Garden Coordinator works under the supervision of the School Nutrition Director and in collaboration with the Wellness Committee. The Coordinator works collaboratively with district staff, students and the community to continue the growth of the garden as a teaching resource for the school community.
The District Garden Coordinator will:
● Plan and prepare garden work activities, manage planting schedules, ensure availability and safety of tools and other necessary materials.
● Coordinate K-12 student hands-on experiences in connection to the garden (planting, tending, harvesting and food preparation) through classroom integration, after-school programs and events.
● Coordinate volunteers (parents, students and other community members) to support garden and classroom activities.
● Act as a resource for teachers as they plan their lessons in the garden; model skills teachers need to feel prepared to use the garden with their students.
● Monitor, document and report on all activities including the extent of student, teacher and community participation.
Desired knowledge, skills and experience
● Small scale organic food production, permaculture, environmental science, scratch cooking and food safety.
● Interdisciplinary understanding of food systems, including food justice.
● Demonstrated ability to work with all ages and diverse populations.
● Strong organizational, time-management and communication skills, including text, phone, email, Google Drive and Google Classroom.
Start Date: As soon as possible